w_tom

Default Power surges

Two pole breakers are the 30, 40, and 50 amp breakers inside
breaker box that provide 240 VAC to big appliances such as air
conditioner compressor, electric dryer, or electric stove.
Turning these off will not undo or temporarily resolve a
defective neutral problem. In fact those circuits don't even
use the neutral wire.

If other neighbors are suffering same problem, then this is
a utility problem. Look outside. How does your electric
meter connect to telephone pole? Follow the overhead wires. I
suspect both you and neighbor share a common transformer -
those large cylinders atop a pole.

Call the electric company. Tell them, "Based upon my
description, an electrical engineer suspects you and your
neighbor share a broken neutral causing voltage problems."
Have that utility company operator reads back that sentence so
that the sentence goes to one who appreciates the
seriousness. Damning fact is other neighbors share the
problem. Most times, a damaged neutral is only a minor
problem. However I saw one house that exploded due to a
broken neutral in utility's transformer. IOW call now no
matter how late. Most every time, it is nothing serious. But
only they can know.

BTW, to give you some kind of idea how totally ignorant some
'experts' can be - look at the ridiculous nonsense from some
idiot who thinks the utility surges power to burn off
branches. Far too often, these types pose as knowledgeable.
Makes it rather embarrassing to think he may even be an
American.

Cheryl wrote:
I have already called the power company after so many of the same
type posts alerting me that there is a problem. I've also
identified an electrician friend of my brothers, but he's out of
town. Hopefully the power company can test the voltage, but if
there is an allowable 10% fluctuation, and the power isn't surging
or dipping tonight (which is hasn't so far that I've noticed) I may
not know tonight what the actual fluctuation has been going to. I
guess last night would have been the perfect time to see exactly
what was going on. An electrician is definitely in order because I
certainly don't feel this is safe until I know how much it is
surging to.

I'm afraid I don't know what two-pole circuit breakers are; This
might sound silly and obvious, but are they the ones that look like
double breakers? You don't have to answer, I'll go google.