CBhVAC:\)

Default Should I renew my home warranty, big A/C issue

"Evan Mann" wrote in message
om...

This is long, but I'm wondering if everyone else gets this treatment.

My home warranty with American Home Shield (AHS) is up for renewal. Today
they really ticked me off.

Took long enough...AHS is a rip....period.
I have waited over 1 year to get PAID for a job I did for them...

Came home to find the house is 86F and the A/C is blowing warm air. The
cooling fan on the compressour outside is off. The compressor is still
running. I turn it off for 45 mins and kick it back on, working OK now.
20-25min later, warm air again. I call AHS and the first place they send

me
to can't do it until next Tues or Wed at the earliest. That's not within
their 48hr "emergency" time frame.

Hint....there ISNT a 48 hour time frame...
Get there when you can...

I call back, the 2nd company they send me to calls back. The guy who runs
the shop said he isn't there to schedule me and doesn't know when he'll be
back. Says that someone will call tomorrow (Fri) to schedule me, but as

of
this morning, Monday are the schedule times, probably later. That's not
within 48 hrs, so I call AHS.

AHS tells me that "it's summer, it's hot, there are a lot of problems, and
unless there is someone ill or with a medical condition, they won't

classify
it as an emergency" Needles to say, I want to know why I'm waisting money
if you don't come help me when I need it, especially when I live in FL,
it'll be 95F all weekend, and my house will get up to 90F. It was only

86F
at 6pm because some rain came in and dropped the outside temp.

95F? LOL...BAH...
It hit 98F here, and we are 700 miles north of you...and to ME, thats still
cool.

The 1 other time I called for my A/C, they told me it was "pre-existing"

and
not covered. So $190 out of my pocket. This time, I opted to pay out of

my
pocket anyway, because I WILL NOT go until Monday or later w/o A/C. I

have
a small indoor pet to think about . AHS didn't seem to care. So tomorrow
someone will be here at 8am and the fan will cost $225-265 with labor.
Hopefully the compressor wasn't damaged. If it is, I'll have to be at the
mercy of AHS, because I'm sure that's not cheap, and I won't spend up to

or
over $1000 when I've already paid $345 for this warranty.

Has anyone gotten something useful done through their home warranty? I
don't even know if they would have covered this fan replacement. They
weasled out of the last repair. Is it just my company that sucks? I know
of 2 other major ones, but this was the one the sellers of the house said
they'd pay for (had it as part of closing, but did not specify company,
didn't know better).

Is it worth $345/yr if I don't even know if they'd really cover me when I
need it? I already had to pay $2200 out of my pocket to repipe my house.
My appliances are all new, so I'm not worried about those. I have a brand
new roof. What else is there to worry about except my A/C and heater?
Shoul;d I just stop wasting my money and hope I make it a few more years

w/o
needing a new A/C or heater. Thatwould cover up to 1/2 of the replacement
in savings from not paying the warranty.

Let me explain something to you as someone that will NEVER EVER do another
2-10, AHS, or Amercian Republic or the like warranty call again, for anyone,
even existing customers.
First, its an INSURANCE company. They will not do what needs to be done, but
piece it together so it works.
Example, had a customer that called and got me approved with AHS since I am
NOT one of their contractors. He refused to let the last asshole that worked
on it, (they use newbies that need the money) work on it again. It was an
old Carrier..about 7 years...and the evap coil was leaking...like that was a
surprise. At first, they refused to cover it. Then, they did, after he
raised hell. I told them on the phone that the outdoor coil would start
next, as is the case 99% of the time, and to be ready for it. We fought for
3 days over the price of the coil, installed.
4 weeks later, he calls me and says its not cooling....get there, check it,
its frozen over, thaw it, charge it, check it, and the evap is fine, but the
outdoor coil has started to split seams. Its leaking slowly, and about to go
postal with the leaks...
Call AHS, and they want to put a coil in, a coil thats not made any longer,
and if wwe cant do that, they want to pay me $150 for a braze job on the old
coil....in other words, they want me to destroy the coil, as the leaks are
in places that a torch will destroy the fins..
The homeowner raised hell again, and then, when they finally admitted that a
coil was a bad idea, and a new unti was to go in, they granted me...get this
****....$300 for a new Goodman unit....he was gonna go from a Carrier to a
POS Goodman. I sell York, and I told them I was not going to install a POS
like that.
They denied it, and said their guy would do it for them in 4 to 6
weeks.....think about that when 48 hours isnt getting it....
Now...I put in a York, they offered to pay $500 finally on it, and that
didnt cover the wholesale on the machine....the homeowner paid the
difference, and has not had a problem since.
I STILL dont have my money from AHS...

The home warranty crap is that...crap. They use the biggest hack contractors
I have seen. American Republic sent a guy out to a customers of mine that I
had put a brand new contactor and capacitor in, because the customer was
worried about the rust I saw on the Goodman unit they had. This guy in front
of me, not knowing who I was, said that the last asshole had put in used
parts, and when I asked to see them...BTW, the manufacture date was on the
cap, and it was 6 weeks old...
he said I would not know what I was looking at, and put the cover back on
and said that the rust was a figment of the jacklegs imagination, and that
the unit would run another 50 years...
When I told him that *I* was the jackleg that put the parts in, he went on a
tirade about being licenced, and how its illegal for a non licenced person
yadda yadda...and when I gave him my card, with the licence number on it,
and asked to see his, he packed and left...turns out, he was non licenced,
and is now paying off his $30,000 fine from the State....AHS had no clue he
had no right to work on a unit.
Oh...and they also have a new York unit, one that I GAVE to them since they
are in their 80s, and deserved not to worry about the unit when it got above
90.

Also, if you PAY a licenced, insured contractor for a repair, they have to
reimburse you, and it will be a fight, and dont expect all your money
back...but they DO and CAN pay you back.