Pop Rivet

Default Power surges

"Lost-In-Translation"
wrote in message
link.net...
Don't discount the power company either. We found, in our

area, that we
were experiencing "meter jumping" which was power surges

that made the
meters spin like a whirling dervish for a few seconds!!

Sure, it made for
some higher power bills too.

Come to find out, the power company will "surge" the lines

as those quick
surges will help burn off small branches that may be

laying across wires.
It's a dirty trick, but they do it.

Umm, I dunno where you got your info Lost, but first of all,
that's now what "meter jumping" is, the power companies will
not "surge" the line to burn off anything, let alone
branches, and lastly surges, by definition cannot make the
meters spin as you say and they do not add to the power
bills. You've been listen ing to someone who's probably
laughing at the people who believe that stuff.

On another vein, it is indeed possible to momentarily
increase the voltage on one phase of the wiring coming into
the house. But, that said, I'm not going into specifics
because it isn't necessary for the OP and I doubt you would
understand.
The OP may have a wiring problem, it could be inside the
house, and that's the place to start unless something points
to outdoors or a faulty outdoor transformer (not likely;
they don't fail that way). A good insptector will be able
to tell quickly, probably by observation, actually, whether
it's an in or out side problem and the magn itude of the
problem.

Please don't spread misinformation.

Pop