Larry Caldwell

Default Power surges

In article ,
(Valid User) says...

So suppose your outlet boxes and cover plates are metal, and there is
loose neutral connection leading upto the outlet. Then it would be
dangerous to touch the cover plate, when that outlet, or some
down the circuit, is plugged in?

No, but if there is a bad neutral connection between the main panel and
the transformer, ALL neutrals and grounds in the house can have a
dangerous voltage on them. This is how over-voltage conditions can
exist. When there is an unbalanced load and a bad neutral, the neutral
carries a voltage that is out of phase with the more lightly loaded leg.
Lights will burn brighter, motors will run faster, equipment will burn
out, and people will get electrocuted.

While installing a hot tub on a branch circuit, I discovered 2 volts
between the neutral and the ground at the hot tub. It was popping the
GFI breaker. I called the power company, and they had a crew out to re-
do all the connections between the transformer and my meter base *that
day*. They identified a corroded connection at the weather head as the
problem.

My parents' old farm house had the bright light and faster motor problem
a few years ago. That was identified as a poorly installed connection
in the meter base - aluminum wire and no anti-oxidant caused the neutral
to corrode away.

In a single outlet, a loose neutral connection may cause intermittent
behavior, or even overheating, but it will not energize the outlet
cover.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc