John Gilmer

Default Bathroom fans improperly vented

"xrongor" wrote in message

"jeff" wrote in message
et...
I'm buying a townhouse, and the home inspector found out that the

bathroom
fans are vented into the attic, causing damage to the roof sheathing in

the
area above the bathroom fans. The home inspector suggested an easy
solution, which would involve connecting a 4" flexible plastic exhaust

hose
to the fans and then running the hoses underneath the attic's
roof-exhaust-fan, and nail the ends of the exhaust hoses immediately

below
the attic exhaust fan and having them pointed upward toward the exhaust
fan. The idea here is that the moisture will escape through the fan's
opening whether or not the fan is running.

up isnt good enough. it needs to point out. it needs its own hole.

sounds
like right below the fan might be a good place.

I well realize that venting to the attic isn't done any more and I also
understand why.

BUT the reality is that most of the time in most places, it doesn't do much
harm.

OTOH, venting through the roof provides yet another place where rain can
come in.

Overall, the main reason to "correct" your "problem" is to keep it from
being "red flagged" by another inspector when you finally sell the unit.