Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,uk.d-i-y
VanguardLH[_2_] VanguardLH[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone using 'Your Phone' app in W10 to connect to an Android phone?

Different "services" (1) are available in different BT versions. Make
sure the new BT dongle supports BT 3.x, or higher. I had an old BT 1.x
dongle that was pretty much useless except for file transfer.

(1) The "services" (protocols) you see listed in the properties of a BT
device (right-click on the BT device listed in Control Panel to show
its properties, and go under the Services tab). Not the NT service
defined in services.msc. The Bluetooth services listed in the
Services app (services.msc) might be set to Manual startup (they
start when called by some process), but the BT device itself still
doesn't have full support for all its features. The BT device is
supposed to send a list of attributes that define the protocols
(services) the device supports. I had a BT Boombot speaker where
all Bluetooth was configured correctly, and the device was paired to
my computer, but still had audio problems until I went into the
Properties of the BT device and enable some of the services listed
under the Services tab.

You didn't identify which BT dongle you tried. With the new
replacement, make sure it supports BT 3.0, at a minimum. BT 4.x have
some more features (faster, lower energy, using BT for the handshake but
passing the connection to wifi which is faster), but you won't need
those extra features. Just make sure the BT radio in your phone also
supports BT 3.0, or higher.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-g6-specs

According to that, the G6 support BT 4.2 and the G6+ support BT 5.0, so
a BT 3.0 dongle will suffice, but a higher BT version would be better.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=blueto... 315449%208000

That lists some USB BT dongles sold at Newegg (and by Newegg, and not
some 3rd party using Newegg to frontend an e-store for the 3rd party).
BT 4.0 dongles go for about $20. I got the Asus BT400 from them for an
old computer that didn't have a BT radio. It's now sitting in a drawer
since my new build has a BT radio on the mobo (but I don't use BT
anymore, so I disable BT in Windows).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nts-and-set-up

Yeah, useless to determine which connection methods are supported. Even
Bluetooth isn't mentioned there. From that article, you install the
Your Phone app on your PC, Your Phone Companion on the Android phone,
and also the Link to Windows app on the Android Phone. Did you install
all three? The Your Phone Companion will require permissions which you
should get prompted to allow. If you don't allow those permissions,
that ancilliary app will likely not function properly. Apparently,
since this is a Microsoft app, it uses a Microsoft account, so both the
PC and the Android phone must be logged into Microsoft; i.e., you need a
Microsoft account on both devices. The Microsoft account is used to
link the PC and phone (in addition to the BT which is the physical
connection).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4531298

Well, that page mentions using wifi, like for data sync and for "improve
the connection". If the Your Phone can use wifi to connect the phone to
your PC then dump Bluetooth and go with wifi (faster, more reliable,
easier setup). Yet ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nd-using-calls

says you need to use Bluetooth to make/receive calls. Seems stupid they
would support wifi from some transfer protocols but not for calls.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3445...o-your-pc.html
"Make sure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network for easier
communication."

https://www.xda-developers.com/micro...gy-connection/

That says Microsoft Bluetooth, but maybe just the BLE protocol. The
Link to Windows app uses wi-fi, a much better choice for wireless
connection. If you can go to wi-fi, stop trying to use flaky confusing
Bluetooth.

There are so many configurations for Bluetooth that are disconnected or
presented poorly that getting it to work only happens for simplistic BT
devices that can manage to work under a standard BT device type. If you
give up on the Your Phone app and using BT to remotely control your
phone from your PC, you might what to look in other ways to remote to
the phone. For example, instead of using an app that represents its own
functions to impose on the phone, you could mirror the phone on the PC
screen to operate your phone on your PC just like you use the phone.
The ones that I've tried in the past were Mobizen and AirDroid (via
their AirMirror app). I think even Teamviewer has something like this
to remotely control an Android phone on a PC.

Usually those type of remote tools require you enable Developer Mode on
the phone, so you can then go under that settings category to enable USB
Debugging mode. You have to install an ADB (Android Debug Bridge)
driver on the PC. You can connect the phone to PC using a USB cable,
via Bluetooth, or even across the Internet (the PC and phone use a
service through which the data gets sent between them. I remember
AirDroid let you remotely control your phone using a USB cable
(fastest), Bluetooth (slower), or through their web site (slowest but
depends on your bandwidth). I think they dropped Bluetooth support
because it was flaky to setup properly and still flaky during operation,
so they went to USB cable or over the web. For wireless, I suspect they
went to WiFi Direct (the PC supports wifi and the phone support wifi
hotspot). Wifi works so much easier to setup and manage out-of-the-box
than Bluetooth.

One way, like with Your Phone, is for an app to emulate some
functionality of a phone, but they present their own screen or GUI.
Another is to actually see the phone's screen on your PC, and manipulate
your phone that way. Instead of just accessing the calling functions of
your phone, you can access any app on your phone (Google Maps, WhatsApp,
store apps, service apps, or any other app on your phone, including your
phone's Phone app). I suppose you could even install AirDroid onto a
different phone to use its camera and mic as a remote baby monitor or
security camer in another place over the Internet.

It's been too long since I used mirroring setup between phone and PC to
remember how they handled sound, like whether the phone made the rings,
used its mic and speaker, or if the mirroring app on the PC issued the
audio using the PC's speakers and used the PC's mic. These mirroring
tools presented the phone's screen on your PC screen.