Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Having gone way off topic was putting a header for a window

on Tue, 07 Jul 2020 21:28:38 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 23:23:32 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Mon, 06 Jul 2020 18:54:57 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 19:03:16 -0700, pyotr filipivich

I do believe that it was Justice Holmes who did point out that no
man is obligated to arraign his affairs for the benefit of the tax
man. I forget who said that the avoidance of tax is possible the
only intellectual exercise which has a real return. As I said stated
above:"It is called "working with the rules".".

No, what you describe above is not "working within the rules". It's
busting them all to hell.

The Rules do not allow A, but do allow X. And how is X defined?

Laws clearly define such things. If the building was inspected when
it was incomplete, it needs to be inspected when it is complete,

Did you notice that his building was in GREECE? And that he had
his building inspected _according to the law of the land_? And that
was the Practice of the Country in which his residence was being
built?

Are *YOU* in Greece? You're the one who's talking nonsense.

` Okay, lets both calm down. Cum Romae ritum romanum sequuntur.
YMMV. Check your local requirements. Do not try this at home.
In Greece that is the procedure, it is not in the States. By law,
the house was complete. Just as the house with the exposed rebar is
"not complete" by the local laws. Just as the guy's "closet" didn't
need to have outlets every six feet, but if he ever converts it to a
dining room they'll need to be installed first. (On a tangent, I'll
need to check, but I have heard that in some places unless the room
has a closet with a door, it can be classified as "not a bedroom". So
it is a two bedroom house.)

OTOH, someone posted about saving money because the "manufactured
home" they lived in still had the wheels attached, ergo was not "a
house" but a "trailer". Avoiding tax, or evading tax?
I'm sure there are parts of the world where no building permit is
required, necessary, or existing. OTOH, I recall a guy who was having
trouble with getting permits for something, and his foreign born wife
said 'That's the problem with democracy, you can't find out who to
bribe to get things done.'.

I have traveled enough and have seen many things which I knew
would not be permitted in the States. When I returned from Germany, I
realized that most of the cars on the streets would not pass TUV
(Technischer Überwachungsverein, the annual inspection). So what? Ich
bin nicht mehr in Deutschland. YMMV.
OTOH, there are many things which I see in the states which
weren't permitted in Germany. Bald tires. Had friends get a ticket in
the mail for having tires with insufficient tread. Yes, the officer
on patrol noticed his parked car had at least one "bald" tire.
When I was departing to live overseas, one thing I was told was
"The Bill of Rights end at the shoreline.". (AFRTS had that as a PSA,
too.) Meaning, if you run afoul of local laws, don't claim
Constitutional Protections. Along those lines, I had to make a
statement in Egypt about a burglary. While the colonel of the police
is conducting his preliminary investigation. I didn't have much of the
Arabic, but I could tell that the one guy was saying,loosely
translated, "Effendi, It wasn't me, it was his idea, please don't hit
me". I said "Thank God for the fifth amendment."
I have considered moving/ living in Canada. It is very much like
the US, similar languages, culture, etc. Save for the one small minor
issue that it is _not_ the US, and I can suddenly find myself afoul of
the law insisting on legal protections which are different than in the
States. "Oops" - its not so similar any more.

The whole point is: What are the rules and regulations where you
are? Not what they are 'back home', but here? What is permitted in
one state may not be permitted in another. E.G., class three firearms
are legal in Oregon, but not even parts for them are legal in
Washington. As they said in Oklahoma "what's the difference between a
wet and dry county? In a dry county you can buy 'strong drink' on the
Sabbath." [sf/x: rimshot]
Times change, what was isn't, what wasn't, is. It used to be that
you could be in college and buy booze in some states - legally. It
used to also be that you could buy heroin in the corner drug store,
but hooch was illegal (although I've been told, you could get it
delivered.). Then it changed round the other way.

As to the whole issue of avoiding taxes, vs evading them: I recall
a report about a guy who was importing full size houses as kits, into
Japan. One day he gets a call, one of his shipments is oversized, and
the custom duty will cost a bundle. He says "Hai! Please wait till I
can inspect and see if it can be resolved." He arrives, and lo, one
board is sticking out "too far". He smacks it back in with a hammer,
problem solved, no need for "oversized load" duty. Not evading,
avoiding.
Duty free shops - you can buy this here, free of the local taxes,
but, you cannot consume it here.
The malls and parking lots in Bellingham Washington are full of
RVs of Canadians who are staying out of Canada long enough that their
purchases qualify for lesser customs rate. I've done similar going
north. Spend two days in Canada and I save on any custom fees on
purchases. Did you know that you can't buy beer in Canadian
supermarkets? I finally found the "packy" and bought a six pack of
American beer. For a fir ends Birthday, because he liked "imported
beers." The Custom's Agent said "not enough to justify the paperwork,
have a nice party."

We laugh at pictures of overloaded trucks, busses and trains, but
locally that is "accepted". As long as there is room for the driver
and it moves, it is not all that much overloaded. Just do not try that
in the States.

Fnord, I can't haggle in the Safeway as I could in Turkey. Totally
not fair. OTOH, ... I wonder if the merchants in the bazaar now
take credit cards?

to sum up: Cum Romae ritum romanum sequuntur.

tschus
pyotr

YMMV. Check your local requirements. Winner is responsible for
all taxes and fees. Do not try this at home. Consult with your
attorney. And an Engineer.Let the buyer beware. Guaranteed not to rip,
rot, rust, bust or throw dust. Will not chip, fade, peel or crack for
thirty feet or thirty seconds, provided the customer does not touch
the car.
For entertainment purposes only. This side up. Use no hooks. Void
where prohibited or not specifically not prohibited. This document
gives you no specific legal rights, user takes full responsibility for
everything and anything which could, might, or does go wrong resulting
in any kind or type of problem or difficulty, embarrassment, lost of
money, goods, services, sleep, memory, or anything else whatsoever.
No representation or warranty expressed or implied, with respect
to the completeness, accuracy, fitness for any particular purpose, or
utility of these materials or any information contained herein.
Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, misuse, accident,
lightning, flood, hail storm, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption,
avalanche, earthquake or tremor, hurricane, solar activity, meteorite
strike, nearby supernova and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from
improper or unauthorized use, unauthorized use, unauthorized repair,
improper installation, typographical errors, electromagnetic radiation
from nuclear detonations, microwave ovens or mobile phones, sonic boom
vibrations, ionizing radiation, customer adjustments that are not
covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship
sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item,
falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, disk failure, mud slides,
forest fire, riots or other civil unrest, acts of terrorism, piracy,
Norse raids, war, whether declared or not, explosive devices or
projectiles (including, but not limited to, arrows, crossbow bolts,
bullets, shot, cannon balls, BBs, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes,
ICBMs, or emissions of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves,
microwaves, infra-red radiation, visible light, UV, X-rays, alpha,
beta and gamma rays, neutrons, neutrinos, positrons, N-rays, knives,
stones, bricks, spit-wads, spears, javelins, axes, etc.).

Be careful. IF anything goes wrong, you should not have done that
in the first place and it is your fault.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the