Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wiring up switch w/pilot light.

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 3:43:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:30:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Wiring up switch w/pilot light...

When wiring up a switch that requires another wire back from the load to attach to the switch to power the pilot-light (illuminated when ON).
Do I have to use #14 wire ? Or can I use something smaller like #20 bell wire as long as the jacket is rated at 600v ?

Any help is appreciated.

The house is in the country and all wiring is Romex.
I was shopping and found some 14-3 that was not that expensive.
Didn't see anything that was 14-4. (conduit would have been nice)
Can I run a 14-3 romex and 14-2 from the light ?

Maybe we should back up and start from the beginning. If the switch powers
the load and the load is on when the switch is on, then you would just need
a neutral at the switch to power the pilot light. Is that the wire you
need to run, because there is no neutral in the box with the switch?
If that's the case, then you don't necessarily need the neutral to come
from where the load is, it just needs to be the neutral for that circuit,
which you might be able to re-wire from somewhere more convenient.
How is it wired now, what runs from the switch to the load, etc?