Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Rocker is Finished

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:53:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Would contouring the seat have made a difference?

The seat is contoured. Here's some of that work.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

The seat stock is a full 2", maybe 2.25". Knowing I was to contour the seat (make it thinner in some areas), I added dutchmen under neath for further support.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Younger folks, than we, likely doesn't sit in one position, so I sat in different positions. The seat is comfortable, but my butt bones felt the hardness in a few positions. Being an upholsterer, I made a cushion in about 2 hours.

We rocked 4 babies to sleep in a big ole wooden rocker. The seat was
contoured so nicely that no pad was needed.

Nothing beats a comfortable rocker seat. Its nice rocking those babies!! It took me a few chairs to get all my curves correct so that it all looks and feels coordinated. In the end, I most often have to guess to make sure the weight distribution allows the end-result chair to be balanced, also.

Sonny