Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rocker is Finished

It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 12:43:02 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Yeah, your brother doesn't deserve something as nice as that.

I'll send you my address.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 09:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

I would keep it too, love the arm rests nice shape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 12:43:02 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Would contouring the seat have made a difference?

We rocked 4 babies to sleep in a big ole wooden rocker. The seat was
contoured so nicely that no pad was needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:19:19 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, your brother doesn't deserve something as nice as that.

Right, only nice folks deserve it. My brother hasn't invited me over to eat in over 3 weeks

I'll send you my address.

+1

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:31:18 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

I would keep it too, love the arm rests nice shape.

Thank you. I always liked rockers (re my grandparents large front porch) and porch swings. I never liked straight lines, so much, so I practiced making things with curves..... Like a good fetchin woman, the mo curves, the mo betta!

A previous rockers: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
Armrests angled a little too much. Your cup of coffee or drink was unstable, so this latest rocker had less angled armrests. Also, previous rockers had a seat frame similar to a porch swing. In planning, I didn't think a seat frame was "fitting" for this cypress rocker.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2020 5:03 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:31:18 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

I would keep it too, love the arm rests nice shape.

Thank you. I always liked rockers (re my grandparents large front porch) and porch swings. I never liked straight lines, so much, so I practiced making things with curves..... Like a good fetchin woman, the mo curves, the mo betta!

Sonny

Does your beer slide off the arm rests? Nice work though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:53:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Would contouring the seat have made a difference?

The seat is contoured. Here's some of that work.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

The seat stock is a full 2", maybe 2.25". Knowing I was to contour the seat (make it thinner in some areas), I added dutchmen under neath for further support.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Younger folks, than we, likely doesn't sit in one position, so I sat in different positions. The seat is comfortable, but my butt bones felt the hardness in a few positions. Being an upholsterer, I made a cushion in about 2 hours.

We rocked 4 babies to sleep in a big ole wooden rocker. The seat was
contoured so nicely that no pad was needed.

Nothing beats a comfortable rocker seat. Its nice rocking those babies!! It took me a few chairs to get all my curves correct so that it all looks and feels coordinated. In the end, I most often have to guess to make sure the weight distribution allows the end-result chair to be balanced, also.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 4:15:20 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/6/2020 5:03 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:31:18 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

I would keep it too, love the arm rests nice shape.

Thank you. I always liked rockers (re my grandparents large front porch) and porch swings. I never liked straight lines, so much, so I practiced making things with curves..... Like a good fetchin woman, the mo curves, the mo betta!

Sonny

Does your beer slide off the arm rests? Nice work though.

With previous chairs, yes, the beer was unstable. This chair's armrest has less of an angle, so no problem with the beer. Field tested for at least 3 days, now.

Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2020 11:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Very Cool!!!! Got a clue as to how much that thing weighs?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 4:56:54 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 7/6/2020 11:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Very Cool!!!! Got a clue as to how much that thing weighs?

Thanks, Leon. Might weigh 50-7o lbs. I can lift it, but its awkward. I once made a big bulky swing (heavier than this rocker) out of a split hollow cypress log, so heavy it didn't swing well. This rocker rocks easily. I'll get the bathroom scale and try to weigh it.

As to that swing, I put legs on it for stationary seating, sold for $200 at a garage sale.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2020 5:14 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 4:56:54 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 7/6/2020 11:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Very Cool!!!! Got a clue as to how much that thing weighs?

Thanks, Leon. Might weigh 50-7o lbs. I can lift it, but its awkward. I once made a big bulky swing (heavier than this rocker) out of a split hollow cypress log, so heavy it didn't swing well. This rocker rocks easily. I'll get the bathroom scale and try to weigh it.

As to that swing, I put legs on it for stationary seating, sold for $200 at a garage sale.

Sonny

WOW! much lighter than I suspected. I was thinking 200 lbs. Good Job!.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 5:14:46 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

As to that swing, I put legs on it for stationary seating, sold for $200 at a garage sale.

https://www.flickr.com/photos_user.g...15& details=1

At the garage sale.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 5:20:41 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 5:14:46 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

As to that swing, I put legs on it for stationary seating, sold for $200 at a garage sale.

https://www.flickr.com/photos_user.g...15& details=1

At the garage sale.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

First is wrong link. try this one
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 5:18:29 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 7/6/2020 5:14 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I was way off. It weighs 92 lbs according to my BR scale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2020 5:14 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

How did you weigh it? The "proper" method if you can't get it all one scale
is to use multiple scales and add them up. You'd know if it was balanced
side to side too. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 8:16:10 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How did you weigh it? The "proper" method if you can't get it all one scale
is to use multiple scales and add them up. You'd know if it was balanced
side to side too. ;-)

I weighed it both ways you described. Placed one rocker on scale, read the result. Placed the other rocker on the scale and added that result to the first. The 2 half weights were about 1 lb difference. Then lifted one end of the chair, balancing the whole chair on the scale to compare to the added results.... same total weight. 92 lb weight included the cushion.

Its more important to balance the chair front to back, not side to side. If you're sitting on one side of the chair, the whole is heavier on that side. It's not difficult to make each side an almost mirror image. Any difference in half-weight will most likely be nominal.

Been doing some rocking. No evidence of creep.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.
Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Very nice!

Thank You.
Sonny

New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 03:02 AM
rocker switch Choreboy Electronics Repair 6 February 25th 05 11:37 PM
Combined dimmer/rocker twin switch where? Sam UK diy 14 November 27th 04 07:06 PM
Dory Rocker. Bob Nerup Woodworking 1 October 21st 04 06:23 PM
gliding rocker chair plans yobosaeyo Woodworking 0 August 7th 03 11:36 PM