Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

J. Clarke on Thu, 02 Jul 2020 21:10:51
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 17:29:39 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Thu, 02 Jul 2020 16:29:10 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

this part of the shop has studs on 24" centers,

2 x 4 24 inch centers supporting a loft & roof ?
.... ok if you say so.

Yep. Made it myself.

I believe you described this edifice as a "shed", by which I assume
you mean as in "shed to store a lawn mower" rather than "shed to store
the Hindenberg". What are the actual dimensions? It makes a
difference in how much load everything has to support. And how much
if any snow do you usually get? That also makes a difference.

It started as a ten by ten. I replaced the foundation & flooring
(5/4 T&G iirc maybe more), added a six foot "extension" to make it 10
by 16. I forget exactly how high the loft is, The Walls are 4' and
I reused the old rafter frames.
The 10x10 was 16 inch centers. the extensions were made with studs
on 24" centers. Made sense at the time.
And I still made more than three trips to the hardware store and
lumber yard.

If I knew then what I know now, I don't think I would have done
it. At all.

--
pyotr filipivich