Posted to rec.woodworking

Default White (mold?) in cedar closet

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:23:30 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 6/23/2020 8:39 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 14:59:32 -0500, Markem
wrote:

[snip]

Another mold or mildew treatment is 2% milk and water a 1 to 20 ratio.
However I have only used this on azaleas it works well in that
application.

Any ideas how to keep a dehumidifier bucket clean? I have a new
(couple of weeks) unit in my shop and I noticed tonight that the
bucket has some dark slime on the bottom. The "bucket" has a lot of
nooks and crannies in it so it'll be next to impossible to wipe clean.
It'll be a lot easier to keep it clean than clean it later.

What Markem said. I think that what may be happening is that somehow
the dust in the humid air is being deposited in the bucket along with
the moisture.

Hadn't thought of dust, though I haven't been making any sawdust
lately. It looked more like Legionnaires'.

Like I said, scrubbing the bucket is going to be impossible because of
the way the thing is made. It's hard plastic so I'd think chlorine
would be bad for it too.

This dehumidifier has a pump to lift the water so I can run it out of
the basement (plus traps to keep critters from coming back in) but
that's only going to make things worse. Outta sight...

A similar situation occurred with a vacuum cleaner brand (I forget the
name, Rex-Aire seems to ring a bell). Rather than a collection bag, the
vacuum deposited all its collection in a bucket of water that formed the
base of the thing. Not unlike a wet or dry shop vac.

My grandmother had a vacuum cleaner like that. Disgusting thing.

Use either one and fail to clean and rinse after use and after about two
days you won't have to pull it around. It will FOLLOW you as it becomes
a living biology experiment. Phew!

You're being nice.