Posted to rec.woodworking

Default White (mold?) in cedar closet

WELL I decided to refurbish my cedar closet after many many years so I lightly sanded the inside and used a paint brush to put on Giles and Kendall Cedar Oil. No water was used on the cedar and I let it dry for 2 days and put my winter clothes back in. Well.....several days later noticed a funky smell almost like mildew and when I opened the closet door there was plenty of white all around the cedar. Now I live in Florida and the cedar closet is in my garage but I dont understand what the white is from. Can anyone help me???? Obviously it was hot enough. In the garage to have the oil penetrate and dry so Im not sure what would have caused it and what should I do to move forward with this problem? Should I just sand again and leave it sanded and not. Put cedar oil on it? I look froward to any help/advice. Jan ;.}
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 9:37:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
WELL ....
.... I look froward to any help/advice. Jan ;.}

I let it dry for 2 days and put my winter clothes back in.

Molds and mildews need a "food" source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNzHARgbCG8 ..... just kidding.

Mold Vs Mildew
https://www.puroclean.com/blog/what-...ld-and-mildew/

Appearance

Mold is usually fuzzy or slimy, whereas mildew appears either powdery or downy. Downy mildew is yellow at first and turns to brownish yellow later on. Powdery mildew is white, and then turns yellow and black when it matures.

Clean the closet with bleach and wipe dry immediately. Before using bleach, test a small area to make sure your wood doesn't change color or change color too much. Hence, once wiped with bleach solution, rinse and/or wipe dry immediately. If possible, have a fan blow into the closet after cleaning.

Hope this helps.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 12:38:13 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Another mold or mildew treatment is 2% milk and water a 1 to 20 ratio.
However I have only used this on azaleas it works well in that
application.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. Will try it this weekend. Thanks again!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Any ideas how to keep a dehumidifier bucket clean? I have a new
(couple of weeks) unit in my shop and I noticed tonight that the
bucket has some dark slime on the bottom. The "bucket" has a lot of
nooks and crannies in it so it'll be next to impossible to wipe clean.
It'll be a lot easier to keep it clean than clean it later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Rinse with some bleach water on a schedule? Unless the lawyers got to
the tech writers and said you should not do that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps this may help:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+clean+d...ier+water+tank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:23:30 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 6/23/2020 8:39 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 14:59:32 -0500, Markem
wrote:

[snip]

Another mold or mildew treatment is 2% milk and water a 1 to 20 ratio.
However I have only used this on azaleas it works well in that
application.

Any ideas how to keep a dehumidifier bucket clean? I have a new
(couple of weeks) unit in my shop and I noticed tonight that the
bucket has some dark slime on the bottom. The "bucket" has a lot of
nooks and crannies in it so it'll be next to impossible to wipe clean.
It'll be a lot easier to keep it clean than clean it later.

What Markem said. I think that what may be happening is that somehow
the dust in the humid air is being deposited in the bucket along with
the moisture.

Hadn't thought of dust, though I haven't been making any sawdust
lately. It looked more like Legionnaires'.

Like I said, scrubbing the bucket is going to be impossible because of
the way the thing is made. It's hard plastic so I'd think chlorine
would be bad for it too.

This dehumidifier has a pump to lift the water so I can run it out of
the basement (plus traps to keep critters from coming back in) but
that's only going to make things worse. Outta sight...

A similar situation occurred with a vacuum cleaner brand (I forget the
name, Rex-Aire seems to ring a bell). Rather than a collection bag, the
vacuum deposited all its collection in a bucket of water that formed the
base of the thing. Not unlike a wet or dry shop vac.

My grandmother had a vacuum cleaner like that. Disgusting thing.

Use either one and fail to clean and rinse after use and after about two
days you won't have to pull it around. It will FOLLOW you as it becomes
a living biology experiment. Phew!

You're being nice.