Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default T-bird is working now

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:32:04 -0600, rbowman

On 2020-06-20 19:57, Bob F wrote:
On 6/20/2020 7:25 PM, Snag wrote:
Earlier version , 60.6.1 , I did a cold restart after
uninstalling 68.9.1 and started from scratch . Looks like it'll
auto-update unless I change some settings though .

I have been using Tbird after upgrading from XP to 7 with few
problems, until I had a power outage a few days ago. That one took me
a couple days to figure out and restore all my newsgroups and email,
but seems to be working great again. It turned out to be a mutilated
prefs.js file that caused it to lose all the connections to all my
setting and email/newsgroup data.

Hi Bob,

Get one of these:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...o-700/P-BR700G

The cheaper ones suck.

-T

I have no problems with the cheap ones and have survived many power
failures with them. They keep you on long enough to have a safe shut down.

Everything fails sooner or later but the cheap ones tend to fail sooner.
I haven't done a nose count but we must have at least 50 computers in my
department alone so it's a larger sample.

The annoying thing is when they fail it's worse than no UPS. during
those brief flashes where everyone screams 'Oh ****!' it's the boxes
with faulty UPSes that go down when even those just plugged into the
wall survive.

I've got no use for the over-hyped APC units - an associate told me
years ago it means "A Piece of Crap"and I fully concur. I've been
selling Powerware and it's predecessors for about 30 years (Best Power
and Eaton) Their line interactive unit is as low as I'll go even with
their products unless a customer insists - I've sold a fair amount of
their "dual conversion" or "online" systems. A "standby" system is
just a false sense of security, IMNSHO.
An APC online unit IS available but they are overpriced - they spend
too much money on retail advertising.