Posted to alt.home.repair

Default T-bird is working now

On 6/21/2020 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/21/2020 12:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/21/2020 07:32 AM, Frank wrote:
On 6/20/2020 11:06 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-06-20 19:57, Bob F wrote:
On 6/20/2020 7:25 PM, Snag wrote:
Â*Â* Earlier version , 60.6.1 , I did a cold restart after
uninstalling 68.9.1 and started from scratch . Looks like it'll
auto-update unless I change some settings though .

I have been using Tbird after upgrading from XP to 7 with few
problems, until I had a power outage a few days ago. That one took me
a couple days to figure out and restore all my newsgroups and email,
but seems to be working great again. It turned out to be a mutilated
prefs.js file that caused it to lose all the connections to all my
setting and email/newsgroup data.

Hi Bob,

Get one of these:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...o-700/P-BR700G

The cheaper ones suck.

-T

I have no problems with the cheap ones and have survived many power
failures with them.Â* They keep you on long enough to have a safe shut
down.

Everything fails sooner or later but the cheap ones tend to fail
sooner. I haven't done a nose count but we must have at least 50
computers in my department alone so it's a larger sample.

The annoying thing is when they fail it's worse than no UPS. during
those brief flashes where everyone screams 'Oh ****!' it's the boxes
with faulty UPSes that go down when even those just plugged into the
wall survive.

You have a lot more experience than me.Â* I figure you only need a minute
or two of reserve power to enact a safe shutdown.

Years ago I had a Gateway computer go down in a power failure and had
all kinds of problems.Â* Hard drives cannot take a hard shut down.

Now I even plug the UPS into surge protector.Â* One day while on line a
branch down the street came down shorting the high tension to the low
tension wire.Â* Every surge protector in the house got fried including
the one to the UPS but computer survived.Â* I did lose a microwave.

I live just a few miles from Lightning Alley, Tampa to Orlando. I have
a whole house surge protector.

Its not always a bad thing though. A few years back in CT I wanted to
get a nice flat screen TV but could not justify getting rid of a
perfectly good 3 year old CRT 16:9 screen. God answered my prayers with
a lightning bolt. Took out everything on that circuit including the
breaker.