Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

Bill on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:27:38 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Bill on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:57:27 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access. It was done in the older
part of the house, why not in the add on?

By "decking", do you plan to attack "cabinets" to the underside of the
studs?

No.
Was it possible to take a good look at the other side (first)?
I just did an inventory, and whoever designed my closets didn't leave
much room behind them.

The opening is not going to be "inside" the closet, but from the
room into the space "above" the closet. The back wall is the other
side of the hall / utility area. It is all an add on to a house
originally built in 1905.

Is it possible that the wall is plaster (and all that goes with it)
and not "drywall"?

Its a possibility. In the rest of the house, defiantly, but his
is a late enough add on, I thing its drywall. If it is plaster, all
bets are off.
--
pyotr filipivich