Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pure gas vs E85

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 22:19:10 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

T writes:
Hi All,

I watch my mileage. I have been running pure gasoline now
for a bunch on months.

My mileage jump up from 23.5 on 15% alcohol to 25.5 miles
per gallon on pure gasoline

It hasn't been news for two decades that alcohol fuel mixes reduce mileage simply
due to less energy content in the fuel.

Where have you been?

I can live with the hit using E-10 but when we tried a tank of E-85 in
North Dakota I said never again. I had a rental with the instant MPG
display on the dash and it was dramatic when that E-85 worked it's way
through the fuel system an hit the injectors. It wasn't much cheaper
either, I might have been about the same. A little ethanol increases
oxygenation and octane (Eliminating lead and MTBE) but when you get
much over 10%, you are really taking a hit.
E-0 (REC90) is a whole other thing. They need a more expensive blend
of petroleum to get there.