Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default filing flats on a socket

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:27:59 +0000 (UTC)
maxq wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:28:29 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 16:43:35 +0000 (UTC)
maxq wrote:

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

You might want to post the problem, what you're trying to do and see if
anyone has a different solution ;-)

Old freewheel remover, the correct tool is NLA.

The freewheel has an internal splined face for the remover. The remover
has to slide over the axle and into the freewheel top, axle pokes out the
end of the remover.

The socket will get matching splines ground from its outer circumference
at the nut end.

A 12-point 9/16" socket is the right size, plus I can index it off a bolt
head - mount bolt in locked lathe chuck, head out with a strong spring
between the chuck face and the socket (mounted on the bolt with the nut
end outward). Dremel with 5 stacked cutoff disks on carriage, grind a
slot, pull the socket towards the face and switch points, grind the next
slot.

Yeah, know exactly what you're talking about and probably have the one
you need. Think I have two of them, most likely fit old Shimano
5/6 sprocket free wheels. You're welcome to borrow them if you're near
Grand Rapids, MI area

Before buying them I was able to use a large nut that fit the spline
(sorta) and had the threads drilled out of it. Use the axle nut to hold
it square. Should do that with the real ones too. Have to back off
the axle nut some as you make progress...

It's been a long time since I last messed with the freewheel. Don't
ride much anymore... There are some listed on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=freewheel socket

In case you haven't checked there yet ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI