Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

Bill on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:57:27 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access. It was done in the older
part of the house, why not in the add on?

By "decking", do you plan to attack "cabinets" to the underside of the
studs?

No.
Was it possible to take a good look at the other side (first)?
I just did an inventory, and whoever designed my closets didn't leave
much room behind them.

The opening is not going to be "inside" the closet, but from the
room into the space "above" the closet. The back wall is the other
side of the hall / utility area. It is all an add on to a house
originally built in 1905. It has some"unique" features. (Once upon a
time, there was an idea to open that back wall, and build in a set of
cabinets / drawers/ whatever accessible from eh Washer/dryer side.)

What I am planning is to remove the drywall in the room, opening
the closet from floor to ceiling. Run a pair of stringers inside the
closet "about so high", and then put something down to close it off.
Plywood, T&G, surplus pallet boards, whatever. Making a shelf that
goes from the front to the back, side to side.
what will go up there will be Christmas decorations, "Uncle
Nick-Nack's winter wardrobe. Uncle Nick-Nack's summer wardrobe. Uncle
Nick-Nack." etc. If I make this strong enough, could use it as a
spare bed space.

The other room (AKA the Lumber Room*) has this set up already, it
is what inspired me.

tschus
pyotr

*"Lumber", from the Lombards, where they stored furniture held in
pawn.
--
pyotr filipivich