Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

" on Wed, 17 Jun
2020 18:10:41 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Personally, I'd just use a pencil to draw out the lines on the drywall.
Get a drill and a 1/2 inch spade bit. Put a hole in the drywall inside
the piece you want to cut out. Then get either a hacksaw blade or
one of those drywall keyhole saws with the big jagged teeth. Cut
along the pencil lines. If you get to a stud, then put another entry
hole on the other side of the stud and cut some more. Drywall
is real easy to cut with every saw on earth.

Yep. Chain saw, circ-saw, jig saw.

I'm just wondering what's the least messy.

This is a very simple
and effective way to cut out drywall. So it might be wrong and bad
and awful and not done by professional carpenters with $50,000
of tools. So you should probably not follow this advice.

Main issue is that a) I'd be working up on top of the wall, B)
minimizing the dust / debris, mostly so I don't have to move, cover
what's in the room, or contend with the mess.
--
pyotr filipivich