Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

Just Wondering on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:22:30 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

Utility knife is good, rotary tool will be faster. Cut up to studs as
suggested (for reasons for that should be obvious).* Cover floor well
before you start, and then don't worry about it. I think removing the
drywall will be the least of the challenges in your project.* And if you
accidentally cut/break too much, working with drywall isn't that
difficult--just a bit dusty and time consuming, and it requires a few
tools. Have fun.

Pyotr didn't ask about fast. The only concern he expressed
was to minimize dust.

True. But "fast" is also desirable. (Actually, what I'd like is
to say "I'll be back tomorrow" and it's all done, including cleanup.
But, no such luck.

You can cut a pretty big hole with a utility knife in less time
than cleaning up the dust from a "faster" method would take.

And to be honest, had not thought of the "utility knife" option.
--
pyotr filipivich