Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

Puckdropper on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:43:55 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

I have a renovation project for the office (third bedroom) in
mind, which involves "First, cut a large hole in the drywall.."* I've
a number of means for doing that, but I would like to kind of minimize
the dust. My options for cutting are
Chain Saw. {Maybe not the best idea, but it is 'an idea'.}
Corded circular saw
Battery powered Circ Saw.
Reciprocating saw.
Roto-zip or Dremel,
"Oscillating Multi-tool"
Hatchet,
Drywall Saw
Razor knife.

I suppose I could remove the clothing and "stuff" from the closet
first, but where's the fun in that?

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access. It was done in the older
part of the house, why not bin the add on?

Does the roto-zip have a vacuum attachment? My router does and it's very
effective when it comes to wood dust. Since the setups are very similar,
you'll probably see similar results.

It might, but I don't have it. Nor do I have a shop vac. Hasn't
been a problem so far. The table saw gets set up outdoors, and I
haven't had that many power tools till recently.

And thanks to all for the "Use a knife" advice. I had not thought
of that. But that still leaves a lot of other issues. (Like where do
I put the stuff in the closet/room while I work.)
--
pyotr filipivich