Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering[_4_] Just Wondering[_4_] is offline

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

Greetings

I have a renovation project for the office (third bedroom) in mind,
which involves "First, cut a large hole in the drywall.."*Â* I've a
number of means for doing that, but I would like to kind of minimize
the dust.Â* My options for cutting are
Â*Â*Â*Â*Chain Saw.Â* {Maybe not the best idea, but it is 'an idea'.}
Â*Â*Â*Â*Corded circular saw
Â*Â*Â*Â*Battery powered Circ Saw.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Reciprocating saw.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Roto-zip or Dremel,
Â*Â*Â*Â*"Oscillating Multi-tool"
Â*Â*Â*Â*Hatchet,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Drywall Saw
Â*Â*Â*Â*Razor knife.

I suppose I could remove the clothing and "stuff" from the closet
first, but where's the fun in that?

tschus
pyotr

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access.Â* It was done in the older
part of the house, why not bin the add on?

Just use a utility knife. There will be almost no dust.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=utility+knife&ref=nb_sb_noss

Utility knife is good, rotary tool will be faster. Cut up to studs as
suggested (for reasons for that should be obvious).Â* Cover floor well
before you start, and then don't worry about it. I think removing the
drywall will be the least of the challenges in your project.Â* And if you
accidentally cut/break too much, working with drywall isn't that
difficult--just a bit dusty and time consuming, and it requires a few
tools. Have fun.

Pyotr didn't ask about fast. The only concern he expressed
was to minimize dust.