Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic microwave, blown inverter board transformer

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 06:55:26 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 00:02:34 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Hi, I have an NN-A554W and the transformer on the inverter board has
blown. Microwave wouldn't start cooking so I ran it for a moment with
the cover off, transformer did a light and smoke display and now it
smells like fireworks.

Impressive. I know how you feel:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/#burned-yam.jpg
That's what happened when I cooked a yam (potatoe) for 16 minutes
instead of 6 minutes. It was glowing bright red inside just before I
opened the door. The inside of my Panasonic NN-S533WF (Sensor 1300w)
microwave oven changed from white to yam colored. I tried to clean
it, but the yam color is permanently baked into the paint. The S/N
label says made in 2003. I think I received it as a present in 2005,
making it 15 years old. It works as well today as it did in 2005 with
no change in output level. That's one of the benefits of an inverter
oven.

Lol, I've wondered about the "sensor" in these things. I know can't be
related to any sort of device that measures anything. Must be marketing
speak or a weirdly translated word.

It's a humidity sensor. When whatever you're cooking gets hot enough
to vaporize water, the "sensor" detects the water vapor and shuts off
the oven, usually after a short delay. The alleged advantage is that
you don't need to enter the cooking time or power level, but you do
need to enter the type of food:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__tYa70kRHY
I've only used the sensor feature a few times. No opinion on whether
it's useful, or yet another useless feature.

I'd follow these steps too, but I also have the test equipment for doing
so, but OP says they have an inverter microwave. That should scratch the
#2s off the list, which is really easy for for a traditional half-doubler
microwave oven. They have no way to test the HV section safely. Microwaves
are truly the most dangerous electronic appliances to play with.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't have sufficient experience,
can't follow advice, and are afraid of high voltage, perhaps you
really shouldn't be fixing microwave ovens?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D