Old June 8th 20, 01:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic microwave, blown inverter board transformer

Hi, I have an NN-A554W and the transformer on the inverter board has
blown. Microwave wouldn't start cooking so I ran it for a moment with
the cover off, transformer did a light and smoke display and now it
smells like fireworks.

I made sure the magnetron was discharged and between the two connections
I am getting 0 ohms, but I only have a basic multimeter. Between those
and the casing is open.

This microwave is at least 10 years old with a lot of use, so how likely
is it that the transformer has just gone by itself vs the magnetron or
the small mains input board dying and taking the transformer with it?

The other thing is that the part number of the inverter/transformer
board is A6645M304GP, and the magnetron is a 2M236-M42. A lot of other
models seem to use boards that look identical, but not exactly the same
part number. For example I have found a site saying that this magnetron
can be used with an A66454T05AP or F66454T07AP board, which do look the
same as mine, so are they just a different revision or something or are
the differences going to be bigger?

Even if I need exactly the same board, it looks like I could be chasing
a part that would work in many different models, even different brands,
if only I knew which one to look for (it seems there are no parts for my
model).

Am worried about replacing it and having the new one get instantly blown
up though.

Andrew

Old June 8th 20, 06:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK. On the one hand:

Purchase new Board: US$25 + shipping
Install New Board: 2 hours work

It all works: All good!

Magnetron is bad: Purchase new Magnetron for US$65 + shipping
Install new Magnetron: 2 hours work.

It wall works: 4 hours + US$90 + shipping.

On the other hand, a brand new 1,000 watt microwave: US$150, complete with warranty.

I admire your wish to reduce landfill, but I have to wonder at the investment in a 10 year old device that is heavily used by your own description.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old June 9th 20, 02:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

1 (800) 211-7262

I entirely understand that this Group exists so that individuals may discuss means-and-methods for doing pretty much anything at all in the hardest possible way, reaching for the least satisfactory results. And that includes reaching around the world for S.W.A.G., anecdotal experiences and arbitrary suggestions.

Rather than going to the Mother Ship and asking there.

Panasonic Customer Service number above.

Then: https://www.justanswer.com/sip/panasonic-help-24-7?r=ppc|ga|27|Tech-CE-SQR-Search-BMM|CE-Panasonic|&JPKW=%2Bpanasonic%20%2Bengland&JPDC=S&J PST=&JPAD=378934176681&JPMT=b&JPNW=g&JPAF=txt&JPRC =1&JPCD=&JPOP=&cmpid=2032112328&agid=76054807163&f iid=&tgtid=kwd-807471796533&ntw=g&dvc=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw5vz2BRAtEiw AbcVIL4IpznzJVHkSJM0UAa4rerYc42_ibvjnkdsd_EkpKG39B sihtcQHsBoC1VcQAvD_BwE

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old June 9th 20, 03:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doesn't change the fact that it is a source for information. Further, it suggests that it is geared towards older equipment.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old June 15th 20, 11:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/06/2020 09:30, Cydrome Leader wrote:

What is the reliability difference, if any between the classic
transfomer/diode/capacitors and the fancy inverter ovens?

The Inverter model reliably makes a louder sound on expiry?

I'd bet the fancy Inverter design is to get the price down, cost of
copper and weight etc. The chief reason for a SMPS.

--
Adrian C