Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default rotted sill plate, maybe a dumb idea but...

Update of an old thread.

I decided to go ahead with the block on the first wall. (This part of the shed is an addition and has three rotted walls, each about 12 feet in length. The other half of the shed has had little damage.)

I'm making progress on the first wall, taking my time and learning as I go. This was the worst wall, with the studs rotted farther up, so I had to cut them higher anyway. I'm taking the advice to anchor the block and use J bolts on the sill, by the way, and put a moisture barrier between block and wood.

And what I learned is this was a BAD idea. It's going to work. But the skill involved in laying block straight and level is not to be underestimated.. The other two walls will just get pressure treated sill secured to the floor.

The sill plate that rotted was a 2x4 and I'm not sure it was pressure treated. It was wrapped in thin sheet metal and they might have figured that was enough.