Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 12:30:35 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:46:45 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 6/7/2020 4:49 PM, Sonny wrote:

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of
having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole
limb. With the tree being that old, ...

If the suggested 60 is even close, it's got a while to reach an average
of 80-100 yr for red maple.

Yeah, even before typing and during typing, I was hesitant about that general age idea. I've had the sense that in more northern latitudes many species grow differently (better) than down here. Here, Red Maples have trouble growing large and old, for various reasons. Many "reds" here have some sort of damage. Derby's tree is really large and healthy looking compared to trees, here.

The house is over 60 YO, I've been here for close to 40. The tree was large
and beautiful when we moved in, so my guess is that it's been here at least
as long as the house has.

The entire neighborhood is full of huge, old trees (and thusly terrible
lawns).

Interesting fact: When I first moved in there was an elderly gentleman that
lived on the other side of the stone wall. He told me that my house and the
adjacent house were the last 2 houses to be built in the "tract", which dates
back to the 20's. The houses were built at the same time by the same builder
when the owner of the lot decided to "build then sell". The double lot used
to be an unofficial neighborhood park, with one horseshoe pit in my yard and
the other in the adjacent yard. The owner didn't live nearby, but knew that
a few residents were keeping the lot neat and using it for recreation and
gatherings. Mutual respect, the way it should be.