Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

60+ YO Red Maple.

The pruning pole is resting on the limb with the issue. To the right of the
pole there are at least a half-dozen smaller branches off of the main limb.
There are no leaves on anything to the right of the pole.

To the left of the pole, the limb is covered in leaves, from about 2' from
the trunk, out to about 10'. The limb is 4+" at the trunk, 3+" at the end of
the leafy section.

I am familiar with *how* to trim the limb back to the trunk - three cuts,
leave the collar, etc. My questions are these:

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/jw8ogh4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T7IiX3j.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2020 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
60+ YO Red Maple.

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

I see no reason to save the limb; too low/close to the house anyway.

More than likely if it has died back from the end there's a reason and
it'll probably progress anyway. Unless there was some sort of injury at
that point that girdled the limb there to cause the end kill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

When looking at the pictures and before you asking what to do my
immediate thought was to cut the limb back to the trunk.
Typically you want the inner sections of the tree to not have inner growth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 2:19:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

Cut only the dead wood off. My experience with red maple is that they often have spotted, random die-off as that.

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole limb. With the tree being that old, if that limb has repeated die-offs, then it may be a venue for disease, bugs, etc. to the rest of an aged tree. Seems the tree is pretty healthy, otherwise.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2020 5:49 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 2:19:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

Cut only the dead wood off. My experience with red maple is that they often have spotted, random die-off as that.

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole limb. With the tree being that old, if that limb has repeated die-offs, then it may be a venue for disease, bugs, etc. to the rest of an aged tree. Seems the tree is pretty healthy, otherwise.

Sonny

I vote with the others it is time to cut it off. I would use the three
cut method and cut it at the trunk. If left it will be in the house.

WHile you are in the trimming mood, I would take the one above it that
is dropping down to the roof. Probably at the Y. I would leave the one
that goes up.

As for taking down the tree. In tree years it is young, and appears to
be a resonalbe distance from the house. If there are on signs of major
damage to the truck I would not cut it down and enjoy the shade it provides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 14:49:42 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 2:19:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

Cut only the dead wood off. My experience with red maple is that they often have spotted, random die-off as that.

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole limb. With the tree being that old, if that limb has repeated die-offs, then it may be a venue for disease, bugs, etc. to the rest of an aged tree. Seems the tree is pretty healthy, otherwise.

Sonny

I'd take it back to the next LIVE LATERAL BRANCH if attempting to
salvage the limb. If there is bark damage showing down from the dead
section I would go back to the next lateral beyond the damage.. That
said, branches parallel to the ground or "down-running" are good
candidates for total removal as they are generally more prone to ice
and wind damage than branches that grow "up".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2020 4:49 PM, Sonny wrote:

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of
having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole
limb. With the tree being that old, ...

If the suggested 60 is even close, it's got a while to reach an average
of 80-100 yr for red maple.

In reasonable soil/climate it should go quite a long innings yet altho
they're not terribly long-lived and are one of the soft maples so they
tend to droop branches as this one shows. Bark is thin and easily
damaged as well; they are so prolific that some areas where they've been
introduced have them on the noxious weed list.

OTOH, I've tried virtually every maple known and none have been tough
enough to survive SW KS for more than a few years...couldn't say how
many I tried transplanting (as well as the oaks) from TN/VA over the 30
years of traveling back and forth while we were back there...futile
exercise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:45:44 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/7/2020 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
60+ YO Red Maple.

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

I see no reason to save the limb; too low/close to the house anyway.

I'm standing on a deck that is 6' off the ground. The limb is at least 20'
from the house and 15' off the ground.

More than likely if it has died back from the end there's a reason and
it'll probably progress anyway. Unless there was some sort of injury at
that point that girdled the limb there to cause the end kill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 6:30:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 6/7/2020 5:49 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

It ain't coming in.

WHile you are in the trimming mood, I would take the one above it that
is dropping down to the roof. Probably at the Y. I would leave the one
that goes up.

Again, I'm up on a deck. Nothing you see hangs over my house. The blue
house in the picture is my neighbor's, not mine. The perspective is off.
The tree is not near enough to his house to be an issue.

As for taking down the tree. In tree years it is young, and appears to
be a resonalbe distance from the house. If there are on signs of major
damage to the truck I would not cut it down and enjoy the shade it provides.

Umm...there was no mention (or even thought) of taking down the tree itself..
My question related only to that single limb.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

There is no live lateral branch. The growth you see is on the main limb
itself and ends before the pruning pole. The lateral branches are beyond
the pole and they have no leaves.

While the limb looks looks parallel to the ground, it actually slopes
upward. There are other limbs that are much flatter than the one in
question, all of which have survived lots of wind and a couple of major
ice storms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

No laterals? I'd take it to the trunk
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

That's a nice old stone wall you have there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:46:45 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 6/7/2020 4:49 PM, Sonny wrote:

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of
having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole
limb. With the tree being that old, ...

If the suggested 60 is even close, it's got a while to reach an average
of 80-100 yr for red maple.

Yeah, even before typing and during typing, I was hesitant about that general age idea. I've had the sense that in more northern latitudes many species grow differently (better) than down here. Here, Red Maples have trouble growing large and old, for various reasons. Many "reds" here have some sort of damage. Derby's tree is really large and healthy looking compared to trees, here.

I planted this (link) tree (among others) for my then neighbor about 20 yrs ago. The area was a cow pasture, back then. Ten years afterward the property was developed for housing. This is the only tree remaining. Being close to the property line, I've asked the neighbor to cut it down. As you can see, nothing has been done. They don't seem to take the best care of their lawn, home maintenance, etal., either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2020 4:49 PM, Sonny wrote:

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of
having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole
limb. With the tree being that old, ...

If the suggested 60 is even close, it's got a while to reach an average
of 80-100 yr for red maple.

Yeah, even before typing and during typing, I was hesitant about that general age idea. I've had the sense that in more northern latitudes many species grow differently (better) than down here. Here, Red Maples have trouble growing large and old, for various reasons. Many "reds" here have some sort of damage. Derby's tree is really large and healthy looking compared to trees, here.

The house is over 60 YO, I've been here for close to 40. The tree was large
and beautiful when we moved in, so my guess is that it's been here at least
as long as the house has.

The entire neighborhood is full of huge, old trees (and thusly terrible
lawns).

Interesting fact: When I first moved in there was an elderly gentleman that
lived on the other side of the stone wall. He told me that my house and the
adjacent house were the last 2 houses to be built in the "tract", which dates
back to the 20's. The houses were built at the same time by the same builder
when the owner of the lot decided to "build then sell". The double lot used
to be an unofficial neighborhood park, with one horseshoe pit in my yard and
the other in the adjacent yard. The owner didn't live nearby, but knew that
a few residents were keeping the lot neat and using it for recreation and
gatherings. Mutual respect, the way it should be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

I'd be inclined to take the whole limb. It is a low limb that is shaded by
the limbs above it. It appears that due to the tip die-off buds are popping
along the limb in a desperate attempt to save the limb. I've dealt with this
problem quite a few times over the years... as recently as last week in
fact. In every case I ultimately had to remove the limb as they didn't
survive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I also to use the different tools for wood working, see more detail here https://circularsawjudge.com/

gas limb pruner micky Home Repair 30 June 15th 13 12:27 PM
New research on limb regeneration BobFilipczak Woodworking 1 July 2nd 09 05:06 AM
Repairing broken tree limb ... M100C Home Repair 6 May 8th 07 01:03 PM
Broken gas light from falling tree limb Terry Home Repair 9 October 20th 06 03:40 PM
How keep tree limb from growing back? [email protected] Home Ownership 8 September 15th 04 06:46 PM