Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:46:45 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 6/7/2020 4:49 PM, Sonny wrote:

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of
having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole
limb. With the tree being that old, ...

If the suggested 60 is even close, it's got a while to reach an average
of 80-100 yr for red maple.

Yeah, even before typing and during typing, I was hesitant about that general age idea. I've had the sense that in more northern latitudes many species grow differently (better) than down here. Here, Red Maples have trouble growing large and old, for various reasons. Many "reds" here have some sort of damage. Derby's tree is really large and healthy looking compared to trees, here.

I planted this (link) tree (among others) for my then neighbor about 20 yrs ago. The area was a cow pasture, back then. Ten years afterward the property was developed for housing. This is the only tree remaining. Being close to the property line, I've asked the neighbor to cut it down. As you can see, nothing has been done. They don't seem to take the best care of their lawn, home maintenance, etal., either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny