Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default "Drywall"

On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:36:46 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 16/05/2020 15:58, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:17:48 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 23:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:28:17 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:05 +0100, Scott Lurndal

wrote:

Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall,
sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

Whatever it's called, it's ****. It's powder held together with
paper.
Use wood for crying out loud. No crumbling, easier to remove,
easier to
screw things into like a picture frame etc.
easier to go up in flames....needs a spread of flame rating ...

Top tip - don't light fires inside your house.
Lets all do that and we can save a fortune on the fire service ....

I've managed to never do so, maybe you should be more careful?

Only house fires I know of a

My friend when I was at school set fire to a chip pan by forgetting it
as on, and simply carried it outside.

My neighbour's roof caught fire because the incoming electricity feed
(going into the attic!) came loose from it's mounting and shorted. 6
months after I had warned him it was loose and he said "not my problem,
it's up to the electricity board". He lost his whole roof, including
many family photos stored up there, and had builders repairing it on the
insurance for a couple of months, while he rented another place, also at
their expense. I was astonished that the fire service had no ability to
turn off the power, and also wouldn't use their hoses without turning it
off (they could have just earthed them). 30 minutes was wasted waiting
in the middle of the night for the electricity board to come out and
turn it off. Not sure who ended up paying. He claimed everything from
the insurance, but if I was the insurance company, the electric board
and the fire service would have been in big trouble.

I was called to a take-a-way fire in a dodgy part of town and the fire
brigade smashed their way in and turned off the main switch and
everything stayed on......they had jumped the meter and main switch .....

This is common in India. Quite openly, outdoors, with croc clips on the wires coming into the building.