Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:45:44 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/7/2020 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
60+ YO Red Maple.

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

I see no reason to save the limb; too low/close to the house anyway.

I'm standing on a deck that is 6' off the ground. The limb is at least 20'
from the house and 15' off the ground.

More than likely if it has died back from the end there's a reason and
it'll probably progress anyway. Unless there was some sort of injury at
that point that girdled the limb there to cause the end kill.