Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

On 6/7/2020 4:49 PM, Sonny wrote:

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of
having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole
limb. With the tree being that old, ...

If the suggested 60 is even close, it's got a while to reach an average
of 80-100 yr for red maple.

In reasonable soil/climate it should go quite a long innings yet altho
they're not terribly long-lived and are one of the soft maples so they
tend to droop branches as this one shows. Bark is thin and easily
damaged as well; they are so prolific that some areas where they've been
introduced have them on the noxious weed list.

OTOH, I've tried virtually every maple known and none have been tough
enough to survive SW KS for more than a few years...couldn't say how
many I tried transplanting (as well as the oaks) from TN/VA over the 30
years of traveling back and forth while we were back there...futile
exercise.