Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 14:49:42 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 2:19:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

Cut only the dead wood off. My experience with red maple is that they often have spotted, random die-off as that.

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole limb. With the tree being that old, if that limb has repeated die-offs, then it may be a venue for disease, bugs, etc. to the rest of an aged tree. Seems the tree is pretty healthy, otherwise.

Sonny

I'd take it back to the next LIVE LATERAL BRANCH if attempting to
salvage the limb. If there is bark damage showing down from the dead
section I would go back to the next lateral beyond the damage.. That
said, branches parallel to the ground or "down-running" are good
candidates for total removal as they are generally more prone to ice
and wind damage than branches that grow "up".