Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Tree Limb Trimming Question

On 6/7/2020 5:49 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 2:19:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do I need to go back to the collar or can I leave the 8' - 10' that still
has leaves?

If I can leave it, where is the best place to make the final cut? Perhaps
just beyond the final group of leaves?

Cut only the dead wood off. My experience with red maple is that they often have spotted, random die-off as that.

However, if that limb, more so than other limbs, has a history of having parts dying off, then it might be best to cut off that whole limb. With the tree being that old, if that limb has repeated die-offs, then it may be a venue for disease, bugs, etc. to the rest of an aged tree. Seems the tree is pretty healthy, otherwise.

Sonny

I vote with the others it is time to cut it off. I would use the three
cut method and cut it at the trunk. If left it will be in the house.

WHile you are in the trimming mood, I would take the one above it that
is dropping down to the roof. Probably at the Y. I would leave the one
that goes up.

As for taking down the tree. In tree years it is young, and appears to
be a resonalbe distance from the house. If there are on signs of major
damage to the truck I would not cut it down and enjoy the shade it provides.