Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default Hozan Rolling Die Head for Spoke Threader, $120+tax!

Cydrome Leader wrote:

John Doe wrote:

This is a video of their current version...

https://youtu.be/0EkmrTxJRsM

I'm impressed they make videos of supposedly precision products
that WOBBLE. That is not uncommon for Chinese products, it's like
they don't even care. But that's Japanese, not Chinese, so that's
weird. McDonald's would go through 50,000 hamburger patties to
make one commercial.

So how rigid does it need to be to chase after a bicycle spoke?

I guess it's just flexing the spoke. The first model (base part), the
one I have, used to bend the spoke a bit, but seems that stopped. I
wasn't much worried about it.

I've not used this particular device, but Hozen electronics
tweezers have a fit and finish that even makes ones from Germany
look like toys.

I guess the rollers that press the threads into the spoke are the only
difficult part to make.

Their second version (thread making part) has a different part number
for each size spoke, and hopefully does a better job than the one that
was made for two different size spokes 14-15 gauge. Seems I duled the
first few cutting spirals. But now I have cutting fluid instead of
grease.

Will cutting fluid keep the roller pins properly lubricated? Seems to
me heavy grease would be better for the roller pins, but the two
lubricants won't mix well?

Seems to me a steel ring should be put around the end of the roller
pins to keep them from spreading apart. But I have a little trouble
making a steel ring the precise size (within a tenth of a millimeter).

Too bad sanding only works in one direction. You know, like to make a
hole a tiny bit smaller instead of larger

I made a rotary tool jig to cut the stainless steel spokes at
precisely the same length. Using a low to medium rotary speed, with
constant pressure applied, they cut quickly. Then they get beveled.