Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hozan Rolling Die Head for Spoke Threader, $120+tax!

I need the thing. They say "use cutting fluid", but what about the
rollers? Don't the rollers need some heavy duty grease? Or will frequent
application of cutting fluid (maybe once per spoke) keep the rollers
from wearing on the pins/shafts?

Seems I messed up the cutting heads that came with the original Hozan
Spoke Threader. That head was made for 14 and 15gauge spokes. The
replacement head is made for only 14gauge spokes. I suppose precision is
important, so they aren't making it for two different size spokes
anymore.

Must be difficult to make those cutting heads, since it's over $100 and
there is no Chinese knockoff of that Japanese product.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is a video of their current version...

https://youtu.be/0EkmrTxJRsM

I'm impressed they make videos of supposedly precision products that
WOBBLE. That is not uncommon for Chinese products, it's like they don't
even care. But that's Japanese, not Chinese, so that's weird. McDonald's
would go through 50,000 hamburger patties to make one commercial.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
This is a video of their current version...

https://youtu.be/0EkmrTxJRsM

I'm impressed they make videos of supposedly precision products that
WOBBLE. That is not uncommon for Chinese products, it's like they don't
even care. But that's Japanese, not Chinese, so that's weird. McDonald's
would go through 50,000 hamburger patties to make one commercial.

So how rigid does it need to be to chase after a bicycle spoke? I've not
used this particular device, but Hozen electronics tweezers have a fit and
finish that even makes ones from Germany look like toys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 05:22:41 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

John Doe wrote:
This is a video of their current version...

https://youtu.be/0EkmrTxJRsM

I'm impressed they make videos of supposedly precision products that
WOBBLE. That is not uncommon for Chinese products, it's like they don't
even care. But that's Japanese, not Chinese, so that's weird. McDonald's
would go through 50,000 hamburger patties to make one commercial.

So how rigid does it need to be to chase after a bicycle spoke? I've not
used this particular device, but Hozen electronics tweezers have a fit and
finish that even makes ones from Germany look like toys.

The threading head is designed to center on the spoke and has some
free play in order to thread a spoke that is less then perfectly
straight.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, John Doe wrote:
This is a video of their current version...

https://youtu.be/0EkmrTxJRsM

I'm impressed they make videos of supposedly precision products that
WOBBLE. That is not uncommon for Chinese products, it's like they don't
even care. But that's Japanese, not Chinese, so that's weird. McDonald's
would go through 50,000 hamburger patties to make one commercial.

I've got to wonder how much of that wobble is to accommodate a spoke not
being 100% straight. If the part being worked on is held steady relative
to the cutter, the rest of it can still be slightly wonky.

At 6 seconds, when the spoke is being tightened, you can see it's not
perfectly straight. So when the cutting starts, the wobble seems to
follow that.

Elijah
------
has considered buying a spoke threader but doesn't need one that much

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

John Doe wrote:

This is a video of their current version...

https://youtu.be/0EkmrTxJRsM

I'm impressed they make videos of supposedly precision products
that WOBBLE. That is not uncommon for Chinese products, it's like
they don't even care. But that's Japanese, not Chinese, so that's
weird. McDonald's would go through 50,000 hamburger patties to
make one commercial.

So how rigid does it need to be to chase after a bicycle spoke?

I guess it's just flexing the spoke. The first model (base part), the
one I have, used to bend the spoke a bit, but seems that stopped. I
wasn't much worried about it.

I've not used this particular device, but Hozen electronics
tweezers have a fit and finish that even makes ones from Germany
look like toys.

I guess the rollers that press the threads into the spoke are the only
difficult part to make.

Their second version (thread making part) has a different part number
for each size spoke, and hopefully does a better job than the one that
was made for two different size spokes 14-15 gauge. Seems I duled the
first few cutting spirals. But now I have cutting fluid instead of
grease.

Will cutting fluid keep the roller pins properly lubricated? Seems to
me heavy grease would be better for the roller pins, but the two
lubricants won't mix well?

Seems to me a steel ring should be put around the end of the roller
pins to keep them from spreading apart. But I have a little trouble
making a steel ring the precise size (within a tenth of a millimeter).

Too bad sanding only works in one direction. You know, like to make a
hole a tiny bit smaller instead of larger

I made a rotary tool jig to cut the stainless steel spokes at
precisely the same length. Using a low to medium rotary speed, with
constant pressure applied, they cut quickly. Then they get beveled.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322.../in/datetaken/

Their new version clearly looks better. It is better suited to a single
spokes size (unlike the first version that tried to handle two different
spokes sizes), and the whole thing is beefier. The posts for holding the
barrel cutters are fatter/stronger, so they are less likely to spread
apart when pressing threads into the spokes.