Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 31 May 2020 11:52:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
When I wired this house I ran phone cable to every room. Long
before internet days.

When I was a kid we had to have the BT fitter come and convert our
hardwired phone to the new style socket system so I could run an
extension to my bedroom legally.

You could always have legal extensions. But had to pay rental for
each handset. And they were hard wired.

BT then brought in a plug in system - but different from today's one.

The flat is wired for phone wiring for the first 8 extensions, but
the remainder of the PABX goes through the data rack.

Of course these days decent cordless will work anywhere in the house
from the one base station.

That depends on what your internal walls are made of.

Lent one to next door when her landline was done. Worked OK there. So
through two 9" brick walls.

probably depends on the bricks. This house has very hard (1910ish) ones.

Some people use foil backed plasterboard in "modernisation" situations,

I had a colleague whose cottage had stone dividing walls. Even FM radio
couldn't penertrate.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England