Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 30/05/2020 13:54, RJH wrote:
On 29 May 2020 at 20:48:58 BST, "John Rumm"
wrote:

On 29/05/2020 18:37, tim... wrote:

snip

Anything else?

If doing socket to socket installs, it always makes sense to install a
pair of cables and double CAT5e modules at each end. That leave options
in the future, is little extra effort, and the materials are cheap.

It's one of things I'd sort of wished I'd done when I had the opportunity.
However, in the event, in situations where I've needed more than 1 (computer,
TV), I've needed 4 or 5 - so ended up using a switch.

The other thing is run cables/trunking to every room (except the toilet I
suppose) - even if you don't terminate them until needed. And they will be
needed :-)

Yup better to have stuff installed and not required rather than the
other way around.

I ran out at least a pair to every room, and more in some places - doing
pairs on both sides of some rooms. Even then I still need a couple of
extra 8 port switches in some places (my office, and behind the TV)

--
Cheers,

John.