Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 19:55, tim... wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 29/05/2020 19:22, David wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2020 18:37:05 +0100, tim... wrote:

Some of you may have seen in another place that I am having trouble
with
my wireless connections in the house

So I'm thinking about how to add a fixed connection into my office

the distance of cable required is 8-10m

I have (I think) three choices:

1) add a telephone extension into the room, and move the router into
that room and plug the Ethernet directly into the computer

2) run a standard cable (with a plug on each end) between the rooms.

3) add an Ethernet socket on the wall by the router, connected to
another one in the office, plug the router into one, and the computer
into the other.

In all cases I will have to run the cables round the walls, preferably
in trunking.

In the case of (1), I am limited to where I can put it as the router
needs power.Â* This has to be the last choice option.

So, what are the pros and cons of each of these?

Specifically,

1) do I need a particular grade of cable for 10 metres

I have found this:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX305R.html

though it looks too cheap, but I can click and collect

OTOH

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?
terms=28-0100Y&source=googleproducts&gclid=CjwKCAjw5cL2BRAS EiwAENqAPuPpagMT2lBOQai1pqjaU6fA0QONhltF9pymPnyQ2k-

BGaUVEXjn3xoCuyEQAvD_BwE

looks better, but is mail order only

If I install sockets on the wall, are they easy to wire up?Â* How do I
handle Rx/Tx crossover (or don't I need to?)

I have read that there are restrictions on bending the cable

Will I be able to get around the 90 degree corner as I go up the
side of
a wall and then turn to go along the ceiling, all inside trucking?
Will
I have to go around that corner outside trucking to avoid bending the
cable too much?

Anything else?

Ta

Tim

You have linked to a 10 metre patch cable at TLC so that will only work
for option (2).
If that will work for you (and you have no issues getting the cable
through doorways and still having the door shut) then that seems an easy
option. Assuming that you really only need 10 metres.
Again you cabling4less link shows a cable with plugs at both ends.

Cat5e cable is fine unless you want speeds over a Gigabit per second.

If you want to install a socket in your office and another by the router
then you will need a length of Cat5e cable, two sockets and a punch down
tool to wire up the back of the sockets. Plus a patch cable from the
socket to the computer ans the socket to the router.
More hassle and extra tools.

Â*From your description I would go for option 2 but get a 15 metre cable
because you always need more length than you think.

Cheers

Dave R

A hardwired CAT5e link with wall mounted sockets is the best 'permanent'
solution, but you don't need punchdown tools. Some CAT5e socket modules
just have a press-on cover plate that pushes all 8 wires in in one go.

that sounds a weird solution starting with a circular cable?

Not really. You cut back the sheath in the normal way,
locate each of the coloured wires over the correct connector
then press the backplate on and it will simultaneously punch down
and clamp all 8 wires. No need for a punchdown tool.

There are those plug-in things that carry ethernet over mains wiring for
a quick fix. Lifetime before failure ? - variable.

I'm going to end up a with Christmas tree of plugs in the hallway,Â* I
don't think this will be a good solution

I'm also not sure that hall and bedroom are on the same ring (yes I know
that I could test by turning it off at the CU)

The man's coming next week to do other work.Â* It wont cost me any more
for him to drill a couple of holes and fix some trucking as I pay him a
day rate and don't have enough other work.

so 5 pounds of cable and 10 pounds for trunking is the cheapest solution