Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Tricky
Dicky writes
Do not connect your router/modem to an extension socket on the phone
network it should be connected directly to the BT/Openreach master socket
with the shortest modem lead you can manage. Option 3 to me is the obvious
solution and rather than using cable with plugs on, use Cat5e cable and
two sockets with fly leads to the router and computer.

Limited knowledge alert.. don't you need to position your router where you
get best wi-fi transmission?

my router is where it is, by the phone socket in the hallway

All my visitors seem to expect good links for their pads and phones!

all visitors to my property get what they get

I think you can surmise I don't have too many visitors for which wifi
connection is a big issue

I have a part used drum of cat6 you can fetch:-)

unless you are very near, collecting it would cost more than buying new

thanks

tim