Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 18:37, tim... wrote:
Some of you may have seen in another place that I am having trouble with
my wireless connections in the house

So I'm thinking about how to add a fixed connection into my office

the distance of cable required is 8-10m

I have (I think) three choices:

1) add a telephone extension into the room, and move the router into
that room and plug the Ethernet directly into the computer

2) run a standard cable (with a plug on each end) between the rooms.

3) add an Ethernet socket on the wall by the router, connected to
another one in the office, plug the router into one, and the computer
into the other.

Ethernet over powerline will do quite nicely unless you need really high
speed or have other constraints that prevent it from working.

So, what are the pros and cons of each of these?

Specifically,

1) do I need a particular grade of cable for 10 metres

Bog standard cat-5 cable will do if you know what you are doing and
don't want to use insanely high speeds over long distances. The faster
you want to go the more exacting the curvature requirements are. You
will need tooling to attach the fitting to the ends of any cables or
alternatively oversized holes in the walls.

I have found this:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX305R.html

though it looks too cheap, but I can click and collect

OTOH

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/catego...xoCuyEQAvD_BwE

looks better, but is mail order only

If I install sockets on the wall, are they easy to wire up?Â* How do I
handle Rx/Tx crossover (or don't I need to?)

I have read that there are restrictions on bending the cable

Will I be able to get around the 90 degree corner as I go up the side of
a wall and then turn to go along the ceiling, all inside trucking?Â* Will
I have to go around that corner outside trucking to avoid bending the
cable too much?

Anything else?

My advice would be to try internet over mains first. I do have both
hardwired connections and powerline ethernet in my house. The hardwired
ones are reserved for streaming video and large file transfers the rest
can go on the mains. Amazingly ethernet over mains works for me across
two different ringmains which I was surprised at. Speed is well down on
the headline figure but still way faster than my 5Mbps ADSL 2+.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown