Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 20:26, wrote:
On Friday, 29 May 2020 18:38:15 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
In the case of (1), I am limited to where I can put it as the router needs
power. This has to be the last choice option.

The somewhat-lateral approach to that problem is to run the router's power supply over the ethernet cable between the router and a central location.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/8yS3u.png at
https://superuser.com/questions/1311...our-fttp-point

and makes the point it can make it easier to put the router onto a UPS near all the other network equipment.

Or cheat... work out the best place for the comms hub with power,
central location, space for equipment etc, and move the phone master
socket(s) to there!

(What "someone" did here was disconnect the cable between the master
socket and the JB where it terminated after coming to the house via the
drop wire, and routed new cable round the outside of the house, and then
in to where they needed the master socket).

--
Cheers,

John.