Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 20:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
Tricky Dicky writes
Do not connect your router/modem to an extension socket on the phone
network it should be connected directly to the BT/Openreach master
socket with the shortest modem lead you can manage. Option 3 to me is
the obvious solution and rather than using cable withÂ* plugs on, use
Cat5e cable and two sockets with fly leads to the router and computer.

Limited knowledge alert.. don't you need to position your router where
you get best wi-fi transmission? All my visitors seem to expect good
links for their pads and phones!

Yup one of the common conflicts of interest in a "one box does all"
router solution. Often the master socket will be at a far corner of the
building, and the ideal place for a single wifi point right in the
middle of it.

Multiple Wireless Access Points (either wired, or these days "meshing")
can solve that problem nicely.

--
Cheers,

John.