Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 19:48, tim... wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Again you cabling4less link shows a cable with plugs at both ends.

Yes, but better moulded plugs :-)

Cat5e cable is fine unless you want speeds over a Gigabit per second.

my WiFi give me 12 Mbps (when it works properly)

but thinking of upgrading to FTTC

FTTC tops out at 80 Mbps, so your ethernet speed is not going to be a
limiting factor for a single connection.

If you want to install a socket in your office and another by the router
then you will need a length of Cat5e cable, two sockets and a punch down
tool to wire up the back of the sockets. Plus a patch cable from the
socket to the computer ans the socket to the router.

do they have crossovers in?

No

won't one crossover undo the other

Yes it would - but you don't need crossovers anywhere. Straight through
connection from network card to network switch (i.e. the router) is normal.

(and modern switches have auto Medium Dependent Interfaces anyway - so
will configure themselves to work with either cable)

More hassle and extra tools.

That's clear, but is it DIYable with amateur tools?

It is. And a neater, more reliable and more "professional" job.

--
Cheers,

John.