Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 19:59, tim... wrote:

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Do not connect your router/modem to an extension socket on the phone
network

it what I had in the last house

admittedly it was a preinstalled extension, not a dIYed one

it should be connected directly to the BT/OpenreachÂ* master socket
with the shortest modem lead you can manage. Option 3 to me is the
obvious solution and rather than using cable withÂ* plugs on, use
Cat5e cable and two sockets with fly leads to the router and computer.

I'm concerned that if I do this I will mess up connecting the cable to
the connections in the socket

You would have to try really hard! Basically eight wires, and the same
number of terminals. Push each wire into the matching colour terminal,
then punch it down. Just make sure you have the tool the right way round
so that it trims off the excess length on the far end of the wire! :-)

--
Cheers,

John.