Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Corvid Corvid is offline

Default Speaking of TiN coated drills was Followup: Choosing a set ofdrill bits

On 05/29/2020 09:52 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2020 20:56:30 -0700, Corvid wrote:
On 05/28/2020 07:40 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 5/28/2020 11:53 AM, wrote:
I have slowly been replacing my bits with ones from DrillHog.
The Ebay store is less expensive than on Amazon. They are
claimed to be made in the US and have a lifetime warranty.

Is a warranty useful? I assume that it would cover breakage, but
not anything else. I occasionally break bits, but they are
almost always the small, inexpensive ones.

Lifetime Warranties can be useless, covering only the originally
purchased (and short lived) item, but *not* its replacement. I
learned that scam with some ****ty headlights.

What lifetime?

The shorter of:

a) The lifetime of ink on a slip of paper.
b) Where's that receipt?

Often "the lifetime of the original installation" Translated as
"untill it fails"? or the replacement is "not the original
installation"? Better is "the lifetime of the original owner" Or
"transferable to second owner with notice" Or "Will be replaced if it
EVER breaks" Lifetime warranty against "failure of workmanship or
materials" doesn't really cover much if they can get out of it by
saying it was mis-used or claim "normal wear and tear"

To receive a free replacement, the buyer was required to furnish the
original sales receipt. You can only do that once.