Old December 1st 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Choosing a set of drill bits

First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19 holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits. Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either. So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete set of drills, what would you buy?

Old December 1st 19, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19
holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN
drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through
the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around
with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits.
Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm
not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either.
So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete
set of drills, what would you buy?

--------------------------
I long ago (pre-China) bought relatively inexpensive sets from
industrial suppliers and replaced the sizes that dulled too quickly
from heavier use with Chicago-Latrobe. Mainly those were the numbered
and fractional tap and shank sizes, in jobbers and screw machine
lengths, with black oxide finish.

If you put the replaced and resharpened drills in another index and
use them first the better bits aren't at risk from unexpectedly hard
mystery metal, such as cast iron. Or the replacement tap size bits can
go in a combined tap and drill index.
https://www.amazon.com/Huot-12600-Dr.../dp/B00018A20O

Old December 1st 19, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/1/2019 8:59 AM, rangerssuck wrote: First: Big shout out to my
Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19 holes in cast iron yesterday and
all I had was my set of HF TiN drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each
hole, but I did get through the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around

with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits.
Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm
not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either.
So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete set
of drills, what would you buy?

I have several HF Sets and a few good quality sets. Hertel, Precision
Twist, Chicago Latrobe, etc.

I've had questionable grinds out of the box on all of them except
amazingly the HF drills. They may be only good for one hole, but they
come out of the box sharp. My 3 facet hand grind tends to hold better
than their grind though.

I've gotten to where I do something different now. I do try to maintain
those sets for one off projects, but for sizes I use all the time like
7/21/D/F I buy multiples at a time from McMaster and have bins near my
drill press for just those sizes. I do resharpen (mostly freehand), but
I never want to have to stop mid project when I am finishing something
up because of it. McMaster doesn't list the brands for their loose
drills, but I've had good luck with them. I mostly buy stub length
screw machine drills from them.

Before you say you can't hand grind a #19, I just hand ground a #21 not
20 minutes ago. I do keep a magnifier lamp over my grinder though. It
helps a lot.