Old December 1st 19, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Choosing a set of drill bits

First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19 holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits. Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either. So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete set of drills, what would you buy?

Old December 1st 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19
holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN
drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through
the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around
with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits.
Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm
not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either.
So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete
set of drills, what would you buy?

--------------------------
I long ago (pre-China) bought relatively inexpensive sets from
industrial suppliers and replaced the sizes that dulled too quickly
from heavier use with Chicago-Latrobe. Mainly those were the numbered
and fractional tap and shank sizes, in jobbers and screw machine
lengths, with black oxide finish.

If you put the replaced and resharpened drills in another index and
use them first the better bits aren't at risk from unexpectedly hard
mystery metal, such as cast iron. Or the replacement tap size bits can
go in a combined tap and drill index.
https://www.amazon.com/Huot-12600-Dr.../dp/B00018A20O

Old December 1st 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/1/2019 8:59 AM, rangerssuck wrote: First: Big shout out to my
Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19 holes in cast iron yesterday and
all I had was my set of HF TiN drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each
hole, but I did get through the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around

with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits.
Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm
not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either.
So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete set
of drills, what would you buy?

I have several HF Sets and a few good quality sets. Hertel, Precision
Twist, Chicago Latrobe, etc.

I've had questionable grinds out of the box on all of them except
amazingly the HF drills. They may be only good for one hole, but they
come out of the box sharp. My 3 facet hand grind tends to hold better
than their grind though.

I've gotten to where I do something different now. I do try to maintain
those sets for one off projects, but for sizes I use all the time like
7/21/D/F I buy multiples at a time from McMaster and have bins near my
drill press for just those sizes. I do resharpen (mostly freehand), but
I never want to have to stop mid project when I am finishing something
up because of it. McMaster doesn't list the brands for their loose
drills, but I've had good luck with them. I mostly buy stub length
screw machine drills from them.

Before you say you can't hand grind a #19, I just hand ground a #21 not
20 minutes ago. I do keep a magnifier lamp over my grinder though. It
helps a lot.
Old May 25th 20, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup: Choosing a set of drill bits

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 10:59:51 AM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19 holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits. Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either. So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete set of drills, what would you buy?

I had a job that involved drilling through stainless electrical control panels last month. Having been ****ed off too many times by my crappy drills, I decided to take a look at some cobalt drills. After doing my research, I decided to take a shot on the Harbor Freight cobalt drills.

Holy crap, these are the real deal. A night & day difference from the "HSS" drills they sell. Rather than looking like a boy scout trying to start a fire, these things just make holes. really easy to drill a half-inch hole (in three steps) with a 20V Porter Cable.

I bought the less-expensive fractional set and a set of cobalt step drills (which also fly through stainless). I will be watching the sales and jumping on a 115 piece set soon. Just today, I had an HF HSS #21 drill bend(!) while drilling on a drill press in 1/8" aluminum. Not doing this again.

Just thought this might be handy information for someone.
Old May 25th 20, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 12:17:42 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

[...]

That one sounds like the drills a former boss bought off a wagon
jobber years ago. Were supposed to be "the cat's ass" - when they guy
came back to see how he liked them he told him he had gotten it wrong
- - they were only good for drilling assholes in balsa-wood
teddybears.

Old May 26th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've had decent luck with the cobalt drills from HF as well, but to be
fair I've had ok luck with their cheaper drills as well.

That being said I bought some decent brand name drills for all the
standard sizes and a modest metric set. Cleveland, Precision, etc.
Some of them I found to be dishearteningly disappointing. Well, until I
took them over to the grinder and reground them.

Old May 26th 20, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I've had decent luck with the cobalt drills from HF as well, but to be
fair I've had ok luck with their cheaper drills as well.

==============================

In steel?

Old May 26th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2020 8:38 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
I've had decent luck with the cobalt drills from HF as well, but to be
fair I've had ok luck with their cheaper drills as well.

==============================

In steel?

Yes. Although that's so broad its not really a question. 1018 isn't
much harder than aluminum, and I'd challenge any steel drill to punch
holes in harder alloys for very long without burning up. (I do have
some carbide drills, but I mostly use them for aluminum.)

On a project making 304 stainless steel pens (multiples) a couple years
ago I was able to drill out more bodies per sharpening with Precision
than with HF drills, but out of the box the HF was sharp and the
Precision Twist Drill just rubbed.

The HF would drill about 3 bodies (both halves) and the Precision would
drill 6-10 (both halves) before needing to be resharpened. Yes, better
drills are better, but a properly ground drill actually drills.

One thing I have noticed is its hard to resharpen small drills, and a
lot of the small drills (from several brands) don't look all that sharp
under the glass.
Old May 27th 20, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2020 12:02:56 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Last time I was in HF I picked up a couple packs of TiN coated small
bits. Last evening, second son wanted a ball stud for a custom mount
so I grabbed a ball bearing and held it at cherry red (as hot as the
propane torch would get it) for a few minutes. After it cooled I put a
dimple in it with a diamond burr then one of these bits went through
it like cheese, then drilled to size and silver bazed in a section of
bolt for a shank. Son was very pleased with the end product.
Now that I know I can drill ball bearings, I will have to come up with
more ideas.
Old May 27th 20, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of TiN coated drills was Followup: Choosing a set of drill bits

Gerry on Tue, 26 May 2020 23:28:49 -0400
Last time I was in HF I picked up a couple packs of TiN coated small
bits.

For some reason, this reminded me of a Learning Experience. Was
drilling very small holes with very small tolerances. Discovered that
at this size, the TiN coating made the resulting holes "too big". One
more thing to keep in mind.

--
pyotr filipivich