Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing Ethernet cables

On 29/05/2020 19:44, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Do not connect your router/modem to an extension socket on the phone
network it should be connected directly to the BT/Openreach master
socket with the shortest modem lead you can manage. Option 3 to me is
the obvious solution and rather than using cable with plugs on, use
Cat5e cable and two sockets with fly leads to the router and
computer.

That is rubbish. I tried an experiment and adding 30m of decent cable to
my ADSL circuit. It was only borderline detectable with 0.1dB loss some
of which was almost certainly the extra inline connectors.
No difference in sync speed at all.

That said I wouldn't recommend running a long phone extension and split
it near the modem. The way mine is done is to split it at the master
socket and then run ADSL only down from the loft to my office and POTS
on the other circuit. You don't want to encourage extra interference.

For reasons best known to themselves BT thought it would be fun to put
my master socket in the loft on the front wall brickwork. This means a
bit of a trek and faffing about whenever there is a reportable line
fault. No mains in the loft so plugging a modem into the master socket
requires a fair bit of effort moving things into position.

Belgacom in Belgium were worse - they installed my ISDN service as a
feature artwork in the dining room with a myriad of blinking LEDs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown