Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Installing Ethernet cables

Some of you may have seen in another place that I am having trouble with my
wireless connections in the house

So I'm thinking about how to add a fixed connection into my office

the distance of cable required is 8-10m

I have (I think) three choices:

1) add a telephone extension into the room, and move the router into that
room and plug the Ethernet directly into the computer

2) run a standard cable (with a plug on each end) between the rooms.

3) add an Ethernet socket on the wall by the router, connected to another
one in the office, plug the router into one, and the computer into the
other.

In all cases I will have to run the cables round the walls, preferably in
trunking.

In the case of (1), I am limited to where I can put it as the router needs
power. This has to be the last choice option.

So, what are the pros and cons of each of these?

Specifically,

1) do I need a particular grade of cable for 10 metres

I have found this:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX305R.html

though it looks too cheap, but I can click and collect

OTOH

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/catego...xoCuyEQAvD_BwE

looks better, but is mail order only

If I install sockets on the wall, are they easy to wire up? How do I handle
Rx/Tx crossover (or don't I need to?)

I have read that there are restrictions on bending the cable

Will I be able to get around the 90 degree corner as I go up the side of a
wall and then turn to go along the ceiling, all inside trucking? Will I
have to go around that corner outside trucking to avoid bending the cable
too much?

Anything else?

Ta

Tim