Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Convert Degrees to Foot Pounds?

On Fri, 29 May 2020 04:30:53 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

On Friday, November 26, 2004 at 7:22:42 PM UTC-6, Kenn E. Thompson wrote:
Working on a Deutz Diesel engine. The instructions say to torque the
bolts to 30 foot pounds then turn 45 degrees.

Can I convert the degrees to foot pounds so I can use a torque wrench
to make them more exact?

Is there an abbreviation for "foot pounds"?

I'll state what should be the final on this matter: YOU CAN RE-USE THE
BOLTS. Forget all the theory crap above mmmk. I own the repair manual.
You just need to check them to see if they are still in spec. If they
are reuse them if they aren't get new ones. Period.

Let's follow up in about 16 years, just to make sure.

The torque then add degrees is actually MORE ACCURATE than a simple
torque because you are STRETCHING the bolt. Can you get away without
replacing the bolts? Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes lucky gets
you (bites you in the ass) When you say in spec, do you mean check for
stretch with a micrometer??? On a 6 inch bolt with a bit of rust or
crud you trust yourself to measure within 10 thou or less??? Good
luck. ANd an UNDER-TORQUED head bolt is more likely to break than an
overtorqued one on those engines due to heat cycling fatiguing the
unstretched bolt.
45 degrees in 1/8 turn - VERY easy to get THAT right.

When you are doing a $10,000 rebuild don't risk the whole job an a
dozen head bolts - REPLACE THE DAMNED THINGS!!!!
(Turning wrenches since 1969)